European Center for River Restoration (ECRR) General Members meeting : field excursion on Mérantaise river, France
Programme and field excursion organised by the French national center for river restoration (CNRR) led by the French Biodiversity Agency (AFB), in collaboration with the river syndicat SIAHVY and the regional nature parc of Haute Vallée de Chevreuse : best practices on river continuity restoration.
- Location : SIAHVY 12 Avenue Salvador Allende, 91160 Saulx-les-Chartreux ;
- Schedule : 8h30 / 16h30 ;
- Simultaneous translation.
Programme and ressources
Start at 9h - at SIAHVY office at Saulx-les-Chartreux, Essonne
Moderator Bart FOKKENS, associated expert ECRR
Welcome from M BARRET, president of Siahvy, from M Martin JANES, chairman ECRR and from M Philippe DUPONT AFB/French national river restoration center
Presentation and discussion on implementation of river continuity restoration : context, levers and bottlenecks, national strategies and plans, perception of this policy, links with other policies .
- Restoring river continuity, M Martin JANES, general manager of River Restoration Center UK (RRC)
- Implementation of river continuity restoration in Finland, M Jukka Jormola, expert Finish Environmental Institute (Syke) / Finnish Centre for River Restoration
- Implementation of river continuity restoration in Italy, M Giancarlo Gusmaroli, Technical Director of Centro Italiano per la Riqualificazione Fluviale (Italian Centre for River Restoration, CIRF)
Presentation of Mérantaise stream
- On the works carried out: returning the river to its original bed, weir removals to retore river continuity and wetland and to reduce flood risk at Gif-sur-Yvette, M Jérôme Rozanski, SIAHVY
- On conciliation of uses in the regional nature parc of Haute Vallée de Chevreuse, Mme Virginie Pastor et M François Hardy, Parc Naturel Régional de la Haute Vallée de Chevreuse
French national center for river restoration CNRR and the national network of practitionners : Mme Josée Peress, AFB and M Thierry Mougey, Fédération des parcs naturels régionaux de France
Film « Rivers in good health »: This short film illustrates the river processes and the multiple benefits provided by river preservation and restoration.
7 sites have been visited (click on the map to open it).
Ors mill (Moulin d'ors) in the Parc naturel régional de la Haute Vallée de Chevreuse
Ors mill and reproduction sites of brown trout
Works carried out by the SIAHVY on Mérantaise stream at Gif sur Yvette
Weir removals, returning the river to its original bed, flood plain restauration, pond removal and meandering.
Six river restoration examples carried out in France :
- Widening and sediment reloading of the Drac riverbed in Saint-Bonnet-en-Champsaur
- Restoring the natural dynamics of the upper Adour
- Restoring the river continuity of the Bresle River by returning it to its original bed in Sénarpont
- Removing a weir and renaturalising the Iton River on the Plis industrial site in Hondouville
- Reopening side channels along the Saône in Jassans-Riottier
- Bio-engineering and creation of side channels along the rectified section of the Scarpe River in Arras
- More examples : here.
firstname.lastname@example.org - Tel. 01 45 14 36 39 or 06 74 88 11 04
email@example.com - Tel. 01 45 14 36 85 or 06 76 03 55 36